31 January 2006

Prying off all the Roofs in Leitrim at Once

A question for you to consider: if you could hover above County Leitrim and had the ability to pry the roofs off all the houses at once, well, what would be happening down there? If you have any ideas, please say so.

This notion isn't mine--it belongs to a photographer I met once at a party years ago in South Philadelphia. I remember his name: Donald Camera--I am not kidding. Anyhow, we were talking about the wonderful goings-on in that part of the world`: the impromptu sales off the backs of trucks, the guy who "ran numbers" (passed on illegal bets) by standing in his bathrobe on the street holding half a loaf of Italian bread and passing the loaf, a kind of relay baton/numbers hoagie, to a guy walking by. This sort of thing. Anyhow, it was Donald who said then that if you were to simultaneously pry off the roofs of all the houses in South Philadelphia, about 70 percent of what you'd see would be illegal.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allie, I brought my morning tea up to bed. Mark said he was up around 4 am. Saw your blog in "favorites" besides saying the stair
project is beautiful, he said "I have to call Donald, he's in one of the poems" Mark says "I know I'd like Allie's poems even if I didn't know her." I said "well you know how I really don't find poetry acessible, but Allie's have heart."

12:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home